I love everything about this Hummingbird cake! First of all, it’s full of pineapple chunks, bananas, and walnuts! Then it’s covered in a sweet and yummy pineapple frosting and decorated with dried pineapple flowers.
The entire cake is just stunning if I do say so myself!
I love them cascading down the side of the cake. I thought about putting them on the top, but then changed my mind when I was looking at the cake. What do you think? Do you like them asymmetrical like this?
If you weren’t already in love with the pineapple flowers from the first tutorial, here, I hope you are now!
I’m just blown away each time I look at the photos. I love how imperfect they are. They each have their own character and whimsy-ness. They just make me happy.
And a happy baker is a happy blogger.
The original recipe made three 9″ round cakes, but I don’t have three pans… so I made two 8″ cakes and two 6″ cakes. It worked out great. I just used one smaller cake on top – the second one is carefully tucked away in my freezer waiting for summer day to be consumed!
Frankly, I think any day is a great day for this cake!
- 2 C ripe banana, mashed (approximately 3)
- 1½ C vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, including juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 C flour
- 2 C sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C walnuts, chopped + more for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and prepare thee 9" round cake pans with nonstick spray or parchment.
- Beat the bananas, oil and eggs in your stand mixer and add in the pineapple and vanilla.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Hand stir in the walnuts.
- Divide the batter into three pans and bake for 30 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Frost with Pineapple Frosting. Add walnuts to the lower half of the cake by pressing them into the frosting by the handful.
- Decorate with Dried Pineapple Flowers.
- Cut and serve!
Recipe from here
Tutorial for the Pineapple Flowers HERE
Recipe for the Pineapple Frosting HERE