Wow! That’s a mouthful of a title.
And this was a mouthful of a dessert. I know it’s not as decadent looking as the Peanut Butter Chocolate cake or the Brownie and Ice Cream Tower, but this cake stands tall on flavor.
As I’ve been educating myself on Gluten-Free products this week, I’ve come to realize that people with celiac must have a very difficult time eating out. There appears to be hidden gluten in so many items. Soups, Chinese Food, sauces, chocolate snacks, beer! Mr. Quart and I could not survive on a 100% Gluten-free diet.
Do you know people who claim to be on a gluten-free diet for the weight loss? Yeah… right… not if they are noshing on some gluten-free bagels. I really don’t think that it works that way. Gluten free and carb free are two totally different diets.
I’ve done the low/no carb diet almost 10 years ago. (oh my gosh! has it been that long???) It was really hard, but I stuck with it for a long time, lost 30 pounds and kept it off for a few years. That is, until I got pregnant… and then ice cream, grilled cheese and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were right back into my mouth!
Needless to say that now I have two dessert blogs. …sigh….
This amazing chocolate cake is made without flour. All of the cake, frosting and meringue is Naturally Gluten-free. It is rich and dense but the whipped cream frosting is light and fluffy. We enjoyed the added crunch of the meringue.
Serves: 1 9 inch cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 Deg F. Prepare a 9 inch round cake pan with butter and parchment paper.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and melt in a double boiler with butter.
- Whisk eggs until slightly frothy, add in sugar. Temper the eggs with 2 tablespoons of the melted chocolate whisking constantly. Pour the eggs into the chocolate and whisk until combined. Fold on cocoa powder until just incorporated.
- Transfer to cake pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, top with Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting and Mocha Meringue pieces.
For the Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting recipe, Click HERE.
For the Mocha Meringue Bark recipe, click HERE.